Sunday, July 18, 2010

For Sandra

Sandra works in the hotel restaurant. She says very little outside of “good morning,” “are you finished,” or “would you like …”. She is here before our 7am breakfast and after our 7pm dinner. She is always pleasant and industrious. She makes every effort to extend every courtesy. As I sat watching her precisely lay out the silverware for breakfast, I wondered, “does she go home to one of these tin shacks we pass on the way to and from our work sites?” Does she so diligently and patiently serve me as I live in a manner she will never experience? 

 I Must Never Lose Sight
What God spoke to me through Sandra.


I must never lose sight of how blessed I am.
It is humbling to see my plenty through the want of others.

What strange flood of God’s love entitles me to such abundance?
That he would shower me with such blessings is incomprehensible.
His love poured out on me overflows the banks of my life.

I have, yet am never satisfied.
I see; I want more.
I devour and consume without thought.
There’s never enough.
I remain a most ungrateful child.
My want is unquenched.
I am blind when I look at myself.

Solomon wrote wisely, “all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. “
The things I have are meaningless in the desert of my self.

Yet he continues to shower me with overflowing provision.
Behold what manner of love the father has given unto me …

I must never lose sight of how blessed I am.
It is humbling.

No comments: